Broken Shoulder Blade Treatment
1. Get Medical Help Immediately
- Get the person to a health care provider or hospital emergency department.
2. Control Bleeding
- If there is bleeding, apply steady, direct pressure with a clean cloth or bandage for 15 minutes. If blood soaks through, apply another cloth over the first.
3. Make a Sling
- Supporting the injured arm, place a triangular bandage or cloth under it and over the uninjured shoulder.
- Tie the sling at the side of the neck.
4. Treat Symptoms
- Apply ice for pain and swelling.
- Give over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain.
5. Follow Up
- The health care provider will examine the shoulder and may do an X-ray or other tests. In most cases, surgery is not needed.
- The health care provider may put the arm in a sling.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.