Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Treatment
1. Get the Person to Fresh Air
- If the person is unconscious, check for injuries before moving.
- Turn off carbon monoxide source if you can do so safely.
2. Call 911
3. Begin CPR, if Necessary
If the person is not breathing normally:
- Perform CPR for one minute before calling 911 if you are alone. Otherwise, have someone else call and begin CPR.
- Continue CPR until the person begins breathing or emergency help arrives.
4. Follow Up
Once at the hospital, treatment depends on the severity of the carbon monoxide exposure.
- Mild exposure is treated with oxygen and monitoring of carbon monoxide levels.
- Severe carbon monoxide poisoning may require high doses of oxygen therapy.