Catfish Sting Treatment
Call 911 if:
- The person is having trouble breathing.
1. Get the Person Out of the Water
2. Do CPR if the Person Is Not Breathing
3. Clean Wound
- Use tweezers to remove all catfish spines.
- Scrub wound with soap and water.
- Rinse extensively with fresh or salt water.
4. Submerge Wound in Hot Water
- Soak for at least 30 minutes in water as hot as the person can tolerate.
5. Do Not Cover Wound
6. Treat Pain
- Give over-the-counter medication such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).
7. See a Doctor As Soon As Possible
8. Follow Up
- The doctor will clean and treat the wound and may give a tetanus shot, if needed.
- The person may receive pain medication and antibiotics to prevent infection.
© 2013 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.