Medicare.gov: Hospital Compare continued...
Details you can see:
- Comparison of up to three hospitals at a time
- Patient survey results about how well hospital staff communicate
- How a hospital compares to state and national results for timely and effective care, use of medical imaging (mammograms, MRIs, etc.), and number of readmissions, complications, and deaths
- Average amount spent on each Medicare patient
- Average number of Medicare patients who use specific types of care
Rating format : Results for each hospital are compared to state and national benchmarks. They are listed as percentages or as bar graphs.
What the rating is based on: Ratings are based on data from government sources such as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), The Joint Commission, and Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) surveys, administered by CMS.
What you can find: You can search by name, or search and compare hospitals based on:
- Health system
Details you can see: State or national averages and results for overall recommended care, quality care, patient experience, emergency care, immunization rates, and several others.
When you click on a category, you can also get information on:
- Selected hospitals and benchmarks
- Trend data
- Top performers
- Map view
Rating format: You can look up and create reports that compare hospitals, hospital groups, or regions. You can also view featured reports, such as "Patient Experiences: State by State Variation."
What the rating is based on: Ratings are based on data from government sources such as CMS, the Institute of Medicine, The Joint Commission, HCAHPS surveys, and other trusted sources.
What you can find: You'll find a score for overall quality as well as for a certain types of care, such as cancer care or joint replacement.
Details you can see: How the hospitals near your ZIP code rank for a particular type of care, but not how that rank was specifically determined or patient reviews. You can also see the top hospitals in the U.S. for specific types of care.