What Is Hospice Care?
How Do I Find a Program? continued...
You’ll want to ask the hospice what’s the role of your own doctor once care begins and whether the same nurse will visit twice a week.
Here are some other questions you might want to ask:
- Is the program certified, licensed, and reviewed by the federal government or my state?
- How fast does the staff respond if my loved one has a problem with pain or trouble breathing?
- Is there a program to give caregivers some time away for errands or rest?
- Do staffers and volunteers get screening and training before they come into our home?
- How will I pay for this? Will insurance or Medicare cover part or all of this?
- How does hospice help us with grief and loss?