Lung Cancer: 12 Questions to Ask Your Doctor
When you find out you have lung cancer, it can be overwhelming. Use this list of questions to help you get the answers you’ll need to make decisions. It’s also a good idea to bring a family member or close friend with you for support.
- What kind of lung cancer do I have?
- Where is the cancer and how far has it spread? What stage is my cancer?
- What treatment do you recommend? Why?
- What are the side effects? What would help make them less of a problem?
- Can you remove my lung cancer with surgery?
- Will I need chemotherapy or radiation?
- Would newer types of medicine, such as targeted therapy and immunotherapy, also help me?
- Should I get a second opinion?
- Could I join a clinical trial? Will you help me find one?
- What other resources (like a support group or counselor) might be helpful?
- What lifestyle habits will help me as I go through treatment?
- Would complementary medicine help me feel better or ease side effects?