President Obama (D)
- Insurance companies cannot deny coverage to a child due to a pre-existing condition.
- When the health reform law takes full effect Jan. 1, 2014, insurers can no longer deny coverage or charge more to anyone for a pre-existing condition.
- Until 2014, the federal Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Program (PCIP) allows people denied insurance due to a pre-existing condition to buy coverage at a reasonable rate.
Governor Romney (R)
- Protect people with pre-existing conditions who already have continuous coverage. This protection is currently offered under the law.
- People with pre-existing conditions find coverage on open market or through high-risk pools set up by the states.