Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Health & Parenting

Font Size

Fisher-Price Toy Recall: What to Do

Nearly 1 Million Fisher-Price Toys Recalled Because of Lead Paint
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Aug. 2, 2007 -- Kids are in no immediate danger from the lead-painted Fisher-Price toys recalled today, health experts say. But it is vitally important to get rid of the toys right away.

The recall affects nearly a million Fisher-Price toys sold for $5 to $40 across the U.S. from May to August 2007. The toys included popular Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer characters. All of the toys were made in China.

Prolonged mouthing of the toys, for hours at a time over several days, could give kids a significant lead exposure. Chewing the toys could increase the exposure. Simply touching the toys is not a problem, as lead cannot be absorbed through the skin.

If parents don't get rid of the toys, the problem increases as the paint on the toys ages and comes off more easily. Do not burn the toys, as lead fumes can be inhaled.

"Parents need to know it is not an acute problem if a kid just touches and plays with one of these toys," John Benitez, MD, director of the Lawrence Poison and Drug Information Center at the University of Rochester, N.Y., tells WebMD. "But if a child sits and chews on the toy for weeks and months and absorbs the lead from the paint, that becomes a risk."

That is also the opinion of Robert J. Geller, MD, medical director of the Georgia Poison Center, chief of pediatrics at Atlanta's Grady Health System, and associate professor of pediatrics at Emory University School of Medicine.

"If the child is playing with the toy, not chewing on it or sucking on it, it is not a danger," Geller tells WebMD. "The risk is the paint being eaten in some way, or creating dust from the toy as from sanding it. Just scraping the toy along the sidewalk is not an issue."

Lead poisoning occurs when toxic levels of lead build up in the body. Because the body is slow to get rid of lead, the poisonous metal can build up in the body with repeated exposures over time.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Today on WebMD

Girl holding up card with BMI written
Is your child at a healthy weight?
toddler climbing
What happens in your child’s second year.
father and son with laundry basket
Get your kids to help around the house.
boy frowning at brocolli
Tips for dealing with mealtime mayhem
mother and daughter talking
child brushing his teeth
Sipping hot tea
Young woman holding lip at dentists office
Which Vaccines Do Adults Need
rl with friends
tissue box
Child with adhd