Understanding Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac -- Treatment
What Are the Treatments for Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac?
First, if you think you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak, or sumac, wash all exposed areas thoroughly. If you can do this within 10 minutes of contact, many times you may avoid an allergic reaction.
You can treat most cases of the rash yourself with calamine lotion. Cold compresses -- 15 to 30 minutes several times a day -- are useful for itching and blistering; cool showers are also effective. Antihistamines may also relieve the symptoms. If you have complications from a severe case, you will need to see a doctor. If the rash is severe or wide spread, your doctor may recommend oral prednisone or another corticosteroid.
Q: Does chocolate really cause acne? My teenagers love the stuff --
and they have pretty bad breakouts.
A: Sorry, Mom and Dad. Your dire warnings about Snickers bars are
fruitless, because the answer is FALSE. Chocolate has no link to acne (nor do
other frequently blamed foods, such as pizza and potato chips).
"There was a famous experiment done many years ago at the University of
Pennsylvania by Dr. Albert Kligman," says Irwin Braverman, MD, professor of
dermatology at Yale School...
If you do come in contact with any of these poisonous plants, be sure to clean your clothing, tools, or any gear that you may have had with you. Since the plants' toxic resin, urushiol, can remain on clothing and other items for extended periods of time, you don't want to be re-exposed at a later date by touching a contaminated item.