PREVIOUS QUESTION:

 

NEXT QUESTION:

 

What is urushiol?

ANSWER

Urushiol is an irritating, oily sap found in all parts of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac plants, including the leaves, stems, and roots. It's even there after the plant has died. Urushiol is absorbed quickly into the skin. It can also be breathed in if the poison plants are burned. That can cause a very serious allergic reaction.

SOURCE: 

American Academy of Dermatology.

Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar on July 07, 2018

SOURCE: 

American Academy of Dermatology.

Reviewed by Nayana Ambardekar on July 07, 2018

NEXT QUESTION:

How does the rash from poison ivy, oak, and sumac happen?

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL

THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.

    This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.

    Other Answers On: