I have had constipation for a long time and found out from colonoscopy that I had a twisted and "redundant colon" which means it is longer than normal and loops upon itself. My doctor gave me prescription Enulose(Lactulose) which is a synthesized form of the sugars Fructose and Galactose which draws water into the colon thereby softening the stool. Now I have a normal bowel movement everyday, no...

wittylady48 | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/23/2016
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

I am female, quadriplegic, and 67. I have lived in nursing homes for over 20 years. I began using Enulose after severe UTIs and ileus caused me to vomit uncontrollably – 14 years ago. A colectomy was suggested but I opted for medical solution. Enulose and erythromycin was prescribed. I took that for several years until the erythromycin was discontinued. I have continued with Enulose 30 mL (twice a day). I also take 30 mL a milk of magnesia (twice a day), and 30 mL of mineral oil (once a day) as well. This is effective along with a byscodyl suppository each morning. After moving to a nursing home, I had little control over my diet and my IBS with constipation became worse. Enulose and my other bowel regimen has allowed me to stay out of the hospital and I have been able to avoid surgery. It does cause some nausea, cramping, and gas. But it is effective and easy to take. It is sweet and the taste is much more pleasant than plain milk of magnesia.

wittylady48 | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/23/2016

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/10/2014
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

The side effect of this drug, enulose, was unbearable for me. It caused continuous gas. I passed gas all the time without let up!

mylo | 3-6 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
12/26/2012
Condition: High Amount of Ammonium in the Blood

this is for a dog a pappion/maltese

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
12/4/2009
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

I am a 18 month user of enulose/lactose. If you don't feel a difference in the clearness of your thinking and improvement of your mood/reaction to everyday life, check with your doctor, you may need more, I did, and just in the last month have I slept all the way the through the night, and felt clear ALL day. This took a while, so keep at it, it's worth it!! God knows you have enough stress with this disease, you don't need to be mentally impaired!!