I've had depression ever since 15, and back then they gave me Celexa, an SSRI. Didn't make much of a difference, thought it was me. I went off that for a while and thought I just had to live with depression. Recently it started affecting me even more severely, so I looked into other medications. Welbutrin (bupropion) sounded like it was worth a try, since it affects dopamine receptors, not ser...

I have become very anxious taking this medication and will see my doctor in a few days to decide what to do. For now I am taking it every other day and feel better. It helped the depressive mood, but made me have panic attacks, sleep distrubance, rapid heart beating when awake.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
1/6/2017
Condition: Anxiousness associated with Depression

25 years ago I was severely depressed, Dr put me on Prozac, it dulled my senses and mind. I wasn't happy, couldn't get excited. 5 years later NEW Dr put me on Wellbutrin and all of that cleared up, I had energy and laughed. Now on BupropionHCI SR 100mg every morning otherwise the dark clouds start to appear.

Michelle | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
11/14/2016

No one talks about the sexual side effects for Women. I can get near orgasm but cannot orgasm on this medication.

Taddy | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/12/2016
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

At first, I was given 100mg/day and did not notice hardly any change over the first month. (The only side-effect was a few headaches.) Then, it was increased to 150mg x 2/day, which I took for a month and though I had more energy, I didn't think it helped my Adult ADD/ADHD much (not wanting a stimulant), so I abruptly stopped taking it at the end of the 2nd month (time for a refill). I already take Zoloft for depression, which works well. A side-effect of cessation is intense fatigue/tiredness. Yet, I seem to be MUCH more distracted now (having thought I was not much more focused). Yet, I believe it must have helped me some, so I am going back on it asap!

LarryV | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
2/27/2016
Condition: Depression

I take Wellbutrin XL 300 mg and have been taking it for 6+ years. Prior to it, I tried every SSRI and newer drugs like Cymbalta. Wellbutrin is the only drug for depression that I could live with. ALL the others cause sexual problems, weight gain, sleepiness, fatique and still don't get rid of all the depression. One doctor added Zyprexa to the SSRIs I was taking and I put on 40 pounds! Getting off SSRIs are tough too. Electric shocks felt in my head and lights. Would never ever go back to them. Wellbutrin actually caused a boost in libido, weight loss and high energy. If I had it to do over again, Wellbutrin XL would be the starting med, not the SSRI classes. Think about it this way: If you're depressed now, how much more will you be when you lose interest in sex, gain weight, fall asleep at work, home, doctor's waiting room and have no energy to do anything? Those are the downsides of the SSRI class of meds. For me, they made my life worse. I am rarely depressed now and take nothing else for it but an occasional Xanax if in a highly stressful situation at work. I lost all the weight I gained, hike 5+ miles on weekends, kayak and have a normal sex life. Please give Wellbutrin a try and if it doesn't work after a month or so, then try the others.

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
8/18/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I have anxiety problems due to the combination of ADHD and Asperger's, and Bupropion has seriously helped. I have taken this my entire life, with the exception of my early years up to fifth grade. I recently went through a stint where I had tried to go off it once I had learned it was primarily an anti-depressant, and I began having problematic panic attacks and would go through periods in which I could not stop crying. Since being back on this, I must say I am satisfied with it. I have been off Concerta for a year, and Bupropion has helped me to also keep my ADHD problems(impulsiveness, hyperactivity) in check. I know this whole review probably doesn't matter too much, but I wanted to give some insight for people with ADHD who are either starting or debating starting this medication. I see a lot of reviews from people who are taking this for depression, so it'd be good to see something from someone with ADHD. There are much fewer and less present side effects than Clonidine, so to me it's a good alternative.