I am Bipolar and my doctor prescribed this medication for diarhea. This medication is horrible, it went against all my other medication and I went into a Manic Bipolar Stage. It is terrible what I put my parents and son through. I am 46 years old and would never recommend this to anyone.

Tasha Bottorf | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/28/2021

I have bile reflux and this drug has worked wonders! It completely stopped the vomiting I was struggling with! The only downfall is the size.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/27/2020
Condition: High Amount of Fats in the Blood

For people having trouble taking this large pill try putting it in a teaspoon of applesauce. It really Works!!

Sarah | Female | On medication for less than 1 month |
4/5/2020

Does this cause you to gain weight

Tom L | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/7/2019

After several years using cholestyramine to control severea diarrhea I switched to colestipol because it is much lower cost and easier to take. Works as good or better.

RW | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
2/5/2019

I developed "dumping syndrome" after extensive intestinal surgery. Dr. prescribed 1g pill per day, works wonders, I am like normal!

Kdaaaawg | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/30/2018

Colestipol saved my life from severe bile reflux!! From throwing up multiple times throughout the night to one maybe twice a week is a huge accomplishment for me after fighting with GIs for a year! Although it sometimes causes constipation and weakness from not absorbing the vitamins in your body, I would 100% recommend if your having trouble with bile or fats being processed out!

retired nurse | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/11/2017
Condition: High Cholesterol

My doctor prescribed 2 GM twice a day for high cholesterol about 3 weeks ago. I have IBS, gallbladder removed 20 yrs ago. I also take 2 antidepressants in the morning along with Vit D and noticed after 2 weeks of taking Colestipol that my depression had returned. I assume due to interference of absorption of my antidepressants. I have discontinued my morning dose of Colestipol for 4 days now and feel that my depression is subsiding. I have yet to have my cholesterol level checked since taking Colestipol, so I don't know how effective it is in treating high cholesterol. It has not effected my IBS one way or the other, but I have learned to control that with diet and not leaving home in the morning until after my bowel movement.Read More Read Less

not2happee | 65-74 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/16/2017
Condition: High Cholesterol

Unlike others, I have a very loose stool and have to be near a bathroom in the am. It stops me from walking in the mornings and must be very careful if I have to pass gas. Going to ask Dr. to find something else, can't take statins, what's left ?

Hammy | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/1/2016

I had gallbladder removed 1.5 years ago. Before I was struggling with IBS-D and it did not go away...probably got worse. I was on this for about 2 months and became bloated and constipated. When I went off it, that did not go away, so it must be from something else. I'm back on it because I can't handling the dumping 4-5 times a day anymore, especially away from home. Hope more fibre can ease the bloating over time...any suggestions?

Kayla | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/5/2016

I struggled for a long time with stomach problems. They diagnosed me with IBS. I had my gallbladder removed after having my daughter. Afterwards I kept getting chronic diarrhea after every little thing I ate. The stomach pain was awful. Now I take 1 GM of Colestipol Micronized every day and I am fine. The only time I have had stomach pain since then is from eating too much or eating a lot of fatty foods.

kk | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/7/2016
Condition: High Cholesterol

Stomach pain and cramps about 3 hours after taking.

Dee | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/28/2015

I have been on this medication aprox two wks after haveing chronic diareah because of bile acid and it is like a wonder drug i am able to go out of the house more. i do have some itching but i use ecerin for itchy skin not sure if the pills did it or something else but in that two wks i have lost 12 lbs have had trouble getting to sleep but no trouble sleeping

patient | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
12/22/2014

I had my gallbladder removed in February 2014. I had the "dumping syndrome" before gallbladder was removed, and even worse afterwards. Nothing seemed to help. After being prescribed Colestipol, I feel that I can actually get out of the house and not have to worry about my next bathroom stop. My DR. prescribed 1 tablet 2x daily, but I found that this was causing some unfavorable constipation. I went from one extreme to the next. After discussing it with my DR, we decided to do 1 tablet 1x a day and it had truly worked wonders. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the pill is somewhat large and a little hard to swallow. I still have to watch about eating too much grease, lettuce, etc., but this has been a MAJOR help to me!Read More Read Less

Buudd | 45-54 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/19/2014

Same as many here with the bile malabsorbortion after my G Bladder was removed in the Fall. Felt like I had hope to get away from the "Dumping Syndrome" when I found these reviews. Colestipol did good for the Bile Binding, but I had problems with one of the side effects - Anal/Rectum irritation. I've never had noticeable hemorrhoids, but I suspect from the gas that is also a side effect it irritates the lining of the anal cavity. Maybe I have light hemorrhoids... Either way the pain is unbearable. Also tried Questran with the same results - Getting ready to try Welchol.Read More Read Less

charlene2 | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/30/2014

Started after Cdiff 5 times to help with the diarrhea. Has anyone else had weight gain using this medication? I sure do itch a lot, especially the palms of my hands.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/22/2014
Rosie | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/29/2014
Condition: High Amount of Fats in the Blood

Was given drug because I can't tolerate statins. Have diarrhea and must be careful with involuntary stool. Had cancer surgery in Dec., was better after that, but diarrhea started again. Will talk to Dr. today to see if there is anything else. My life revolves around my bowels!!

cori | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/20/2014

doc prescribed for uncontrollable diarrhea after trying many other things. It was like a wonder drug and actually allowed me to get out of the house. It spiked my triglycerides and was taken off the meds kicking and screaming. Going to try lomotil but don't think it will work as well.

Susie Q | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/23/2014

Helps me keep my collagenous colitis under control. I do have difficulty spacing this with my other meds but well worth the results.

sabis | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/19/2013
Condition: High Cholesterol

It was prescribed for me for my high cholesterol (I cannot tolerate statins). I don't know yet how it works for the cholesterol, but it works wonders for my acid stomach, my stomach feels like new. I am taking only one tablet in the morning, instead of 2 for now.