Being on Parnate since 1989 I don't have any problem with watching the foods I eat. Since it is the only medication that will work for me, I will continue to take it. It's just a shame that more medical professionals aren't up to date on MAOI's. Not even the most current meds of the 2000's have worked in my case.

This drug usually does not work except for only on very small subset of patients with atypical depression. it has very poor action, many difficult side effects and does not have a consistent daily action. it is one of the most unpredictable drugs and you will never know what will happen tomorrow effect wise. There are no recent studies because it does not worth it. it just like very dirty drug tha...

Walter | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/7/2021
Condition: Depression

You are "treatment resistant" as long as you haven't tried a classical MAOI for depression. This drug has a very powerful antidepressant, anxiolytic and also anti-OCD effect. Much more effective than everything else what is legally available as "antidepressants". Side effects (especially insomnia and afternoon fatigue) can be very annoying but are overall not worse than what you get from SSRIs and all the other crap. The recommendations regarding diet restrictions are outdated (!!!)

WAS | 65-74 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
4/28/2019
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder

As with so many other reviewers, I tried multiple meds of multiple types, singly and in combination, to treat 50 years of depression. Some were effective for awhile and then lost their effectiveness. Some were ineffective from the beginning. I also had two ECT series (12 treatments in each series) with Ketamine as the anesthetic. Almost seven years ago my psychiatrist suggested Parnate. At that point I would have agreed to rat poison if she told me it might work. We did a standard slow increase in dosage. The primary side effects were insomnia and a sudden complete loss of energy in the late afternoon. I began to feel positive effect at 50 mg. 60 mg was better, but with only partial recovery. After searching the Internet I came up with a few old articles about mega-dosing Parnate. My psychiatrist agreed to increase the dose if I would take my blood pressure two hours after every dose. I'm now on 120 mg. Most of the time I feel quite good. I no longer have the "freight train smacked me" feeling in the afternoon. I continue to have insomnia and have learned to live with it. I'm very careful about the food I eat, especially when we eat out, and about over the counter meds. I've have never had a food reaction. Parnate helped me get back to a life worth living.

Rejuvinated1155 | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/2/2016
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder

Parnate has worked 10x better than any other anti-depressant I've ever taken (and I've tried loads of them). Diet is easy if you have the latest guidelines. I see a couple reviewers here have had the 1-2 hour high BP episodes, but these are pretty easy to avoid. If you get one, a benzodiazepine med will reverse it. Like I said though, just a couple dietary things to look out for - I have never had any problems, just overall blood pressure decrease (my BP was high anyway) and almost complete disappearance of my horrible depression and anxiety. I have my life back now.

ssrissuck | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
6/12/2016
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder

I've dealt with major depressive disorder for 22 years and have always had to be on several anti-depressants at one time. They only lessened my symptoms in the best of cases, but did nothing most of the time. I've been on every antidepressant in addition to things like risperdal as an adjunct. I was on 450mg welbutrin, 60mg remeron and 120mg cymbalta concurrently with no effect when I decided to take the maoi plunge. That was 18 months ago. It's truly amazing to feel normal. I'd forgotten what that felt like. I have my life back. I do have to say the first couple of months were the most brutal med adjustment I've ever been through. I think most people would have given in and quit. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat and generally felt like I was going out of my mind. Glad I stuck it out. After the first few months I've had no side effects besides a little afternoon fatigue. I've had no trouble with diet and slowly tested items to see what I could get away with. Now I eat pretty much what I want with the exception of "real" cheese (no problem with bland supermarket colbys, mild cheddars, jack etc.) I've never had a hypertensive reaction.

kevin M | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
12/13/2015
Condition: Major Depressive Disorder

I have taken parnate for 25 years. It saved my life and is the only medication (I tried many) that has worked for me. I have had insomnia since I started with it in 1990. This has been ameliorated, but not resolved, by addition of ambien, neurontin and trazedone. I take a very high dose of parnate (170 mg/day-110 mg in the morning, 60 mg seven hours later). In 2001, I went off parnate to try to find a safer medication and became very ill. Although going back on parnate did not work at first, the addition of zyprexa to the parnate miraculously brought me immediately out of profound depression. I have had two hypertensive crises. I am very careful about diet and rarely eat out. I am not clear what caused my crises, but both occurred after eating at restaurants. I have to be careful about stress, exposure to too much sun or to high heat (e.g., saunas) and physical exertion, as these can cause dangerous side effects. With it all, I can be nothing but thankful for this life-saving drug.