Gene Health Metoprolol Succer 25 md 2per day 2014-11-27 Web MD Reviews: I came to Web MD Reviews because I suspected that I was suffering from side effects due to taking, by prescription of my heart surgeon, Metoprolol Succer, 25 mg 2 per day after formerly taking 12,5 mg per day for about 2 years. Several of these side effects have been bothering me for over a year or more without my realizing ...

Have not taken yet, doctor prescribed just yesterday.

CalifMale53 | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
3/5/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I had covid in March 2020; recovered in April. July was in the ER for heart palpitations. Long story short, diagnosed with myocarditis resulting in heart failure (47% EFR). Prescribed 25 mg to lower heart rate and blood pressure. By 3 months, experienced significant side effects: 1) cold fingers/toes, 2) pruney fingers (Raynaud's symptoms), 3) unbearable dry cough, 4) hair loss, 5) decreased libido, 6) inability to lose weight (and very easy to gain weight), 7) anxiety/depression. I take this at night as it makes me incredibly sleepy. Definitely lowers heart rate (my sleeping HR is ~ 48 bpm). Blood pressure ~ 111/68, so that's good, but I'm not sure if the side effects are worth the trade off, and will ask my dr. to reduce and/or stop taking, or switch to something else.

Anonymous | 45-54 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
2/25/2021
Condition: inappropriate sinus tachycardia

This drug has been a life changer. For years had issues with sudden rapid heart beat and irregular heart beat. I also have high blood pressure and suffered from panic attacks. I was taking meds for both and had been given other drugs to help with the heartbeat but they didnt work or I had a reaction (constant coughing). I got put on the 50 mg Succulent ER 24-Hour when I had to go to the ER for chest pains in 2012. Within a month my blood pressure was within normal range and I no longer had to take Paxil for panic attacks (which I have not had one single attack since 2012 when I was put on this medication). Now I only take my Diovan and this drug and do not need the other two I had to take prior to starting this. The only drawback it you want to call it is you absolutely have to take this drug at the exact same time every day. If I miss my dose by even an hr I begin having heart palpations and my bp will go up to 180/110.

Do Not Recommend Using | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/12/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I wish my doctor had informed me that adverse effects of metoprolol, as listed on NIH website (link below) include heart failure and that stopping metoprolol abruptly can cause a heart attack; if I had known I would never have started taking this medicine, especially since my only issue was high blood pressure, which this medicine caused to go even higher (systolic over 200). I experienced several adverse effects while taking metoprolol succinate(which I posted below; however I thought it important to post my experience tapering off this medicine; it has been one of the scariest experiences in my life. I tried to stop taking Metoprolol by reducing the medication 25mg at a time. My initial prescription was 100 mg, so to taper off I tried 75mg, then 50 mg, then 25 mg over a 3 day period. I did not experience an issue at the 75mg and 50mg reduction - even though it was over a 2-day period. However, upon taking Metoprolol 25mg on third day, it was like an adrenaline rush and my heart started beating wildly --- I tried to take my blood pressure and my blood pressure machine malfunction, BP cuff squeezing my arm so tight because it could not get a reading that I had to remove the BP cuff, because I thought I was going to pass out. I immediately reinstated medicine to 75mg and have since reduced the medicine by only 12.5mg every 7 days, which my body tolerates better. In 20 days I have reduced my dosage from 100mg to 37.5 mg by cutting my 50mg pills into 4 quarters, at this rate, I expect to be off metoprolol in 3 more week. As a result of my experience and the adverse effects listed at the links below, I would not recommend using Metoprolol if your only issue is high blood pressure. Both my cardiologist and primary care physician think metoprolol is great, but obviously, they have never experienced the serious adverse effects that I have. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682864.html https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532923/#article-25089.s4

Starting To Eat Healthy | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/22/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

My blood pressure has been in crisis level (> 170/90) for 2.5 months. This medicine does not work for me. My BP has elevated above 200/100 while taking this medicine. Originally I thought it had no side effects, but now I realize it does: Rapid heart beat, aches in my upper stomach, tightness in chest, gas, tingling in legs, night cough, general feeling of sickness, anxiety, panic attacks. I started at 25mg Metoprolol Succ ER, then 50mg, 75mg and now 100 mg. Losartan was added yesterday, and my BP went from 196/90 to 165/~75, So I have started tapering off of Metoprolol only took 75mg today, and will gradually lower until I am back at 25mg ... at which point unless my doctor gives me a good reason to keep taking it, I intend to stop.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient