After one week on Megastrol I have gained three pounds and feel more energetic, my weight went from 98Lbs to 86Lbs over the last year, unexplained. No cancer or HIV diagnosed. So far, I am very happy, no adverse reaction to medication.

I was taking this drug for 10 years.My Dr. stopped it abruptly. I have very uncomfortable side effects for 2 weeks, backache all over, stomach spasms, etc.Is there an antidote for the withdrawal side effects?

Hope1969 | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Caregiver
5/30/2022
Condition: cachexia due to malignant neoplastic disease

Stage 4 lung cancer. When my father came to be in My care 24/7, he was on magestrol 40mg twice a day. His appetite was amazing, he was full of energy and yes! He was eating around the clock. I enjoyed cooking for him because he loved and enjoyed my cooking. Feb. 12,2022 was when he moved in with me. I had to change his oncologist because he was previously living in another county. I ask his new oncologist to PLEASE give my father a refill, but for some reason he prescribed DRONABINOL. My father had a gap of 2 months with no appetite stimulant. As soon as I started my dad on Drinabinol, his personality changed, he was not himself anymore. He was having every single side effect. He was only on this 2 a day medication for 3 days and I understand it takes a few weeks to kick in , but still the side effects and the not eating was making my dad very I’ll. his appetite is sooooo poor it hurts me. He is currently in the hospital, I mentioned all this to the hospital doctor and switched him immediately to Megestrol. I just hope it’s not to late. I do know that this Megestrol does miracles for someone with a poor appetite. If the new Oncologist would have given my father a refill, my dad would probably not be so WEAK , MALNUTRITION, and in and out of the ER. I heard so many good things about DRONABINOL, but this medication was not good for my father. If you know something is working for your loved one, speak up and let the provider know.Read More Read Less

toya | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/19/2021

I used this medicine to gain weight..the first month it stopped my period , I continued to take it now the second month I started spotting out of no where an now it seems the spotting won't stop..I been spotting for a week now. What do I need to do.?

leah | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
1/30/2017

I used to stop heavy menstrual bleeding, It worked for a little while then didn't work that well. Now i just got diagnosed with diabetes because of this drug.

Zaynab | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/19/2016
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs

I've had lost a lot of weight due to being pregnant stress and becoming addicted to pain meds...my appetite was poor lost 40pds in 7months...I've been taking this meds for 12days...first weigh in was 144pds I'm now 158pds...my advice to whomever taking it..BE SURE TO HAVE FOOD COOKED PREPARED MONEY TO FOOD SHOP OR EAT OUT...THE HUNGER PAIN IS SURREAL... after eating u r still going to be hungry have snacks bread whatever all praises due to Allah I get food stamps otherwise I don't know what I will do...I will definitely stop taking th meds becuz th hunger pain is REAL!!!! BEST WISHES ON UR JOURNEY Read More Read Less

mshell | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/16/2015

Heavy vaginal bleeding that seemed to stop only when anemic. Got blood transfusions and flow started again. Couldn't keep any food down(no appetite) nor could I keep the iron pills to try to cure the anemia. Finally diagnosed with stage1 uterine cancer. Have some itchiness but now able to keep food down(and actually want to eat) and get more than 5 feet without feeling like I am going to pass out. Actually experiencing slight weight loss though inactivity had me way overweight.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/21/2013

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/9/2013
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs

I am no longer producing progesterone and megestrol has helped me and has ceased my periods. Change of life is no picnic!

skeeter | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/24/2013

ive been under weight 4 many years. so tried of people say eat cheese burgers. so i started taking it every day. i have went from 97 to 118 in 2 months. i can tell am filling out in legs and places i havent had weight on 4 long time. i went from size 1 to size 3. i havent weighed this much in years and 4 once i am eating again the way i should. before i would just eat handfuls of chips and that's it. and other times i would pig out. but now am eating everyday and not just half my plate.

RBrown108 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/24/2013

I was prescribed this medicine for prolonged menstrual bleeding. It stopped it effectively. I was also under weight with no appetite, it solved that too, I am actually hungry again and have a taste for things I normally wouldn't eat.. But I experience a tightness in my thighs and calves. Is this a side effect? Or maybe its the positive weight gain and I am not used to it. 95lbs to 110 in about a month. So far so good!

[email protected] | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/25/2013
Condition: Metastatic Endometrial Carcinoma

doing well. trying to maintain my weight, as I am already overweight. have gained about eight lbs.

ginny31937 | 75 or over | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
12/1/2012

My husband is 90 yrs old with a loss of appetite. The Dr. prescribed Megastrol. It helped his appetite He has been put on hospice, not for end of life care, but his Dr was not a gerentologist. That Dr. took him off it because if negatively affects the liver. He now doesn't eat & has lost 6 pounds over 3 wks. Do, my question is how much damage can it do to the liver, and which is worse, dying of malnutrition or liver loss.

VEIVIPHINZ | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/21/2012

VERY EFFECTIVE FOR ME.. I AM 5'2" IN HEIGHT AND HAVING HARD TIME TO GAIN WEIGHT.... WORKED LIKE MIRACLE, FROM 90 LBS TO 98 LBS IN JUST 2 WEEKS..... I AM TAKING THE LIQUID FORM, IT'S MUCH EASIER FOR ME... THE TASTE IS FINE... MY TARGET WEIGHT IS 115 LBS, THEN WHEN I REACH MY GOAL I WILL SLOWLY AND GRADUALLY STOP.... I DO HAVE SOMETIMES HAVE SHORTNESS OF BREATH BUT I THINK IT IS FROM EATING TOO MUCH FOOD AT A TIME :) AND THERE IS NO MORE SPACE AROUND MY BELLY AREA.

Mark D | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
4/20/2012

This stuff did WONDERS helping me gain weight and my appetite was fantastic. WARNING TO MEN TAKING THIS: This stuff will kill your sex drive, cause breast growth, and ... well, shrink your penis. I (and my wife) sincerely hope that discontinuing use will reverse this nasty (and not listed in the meds info) side effect. So if you're a guy, only use if you MUST, and only for as short a time as possible.

pj1981 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/18/2012
Condition: Cancer in the Lining of the Uterus

I have been taking this medicane for over two years now for endometrial hyperplasia. My condition has improved and I was able to lower my meds. I did gain weight when I started taking the meds but have been able to lose some since the meds were lowered.

fs | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
10/10/2011

After 24 hr the medication causes the patient not to control her urination. She is weak, confused, losing mobility and etc.

twins | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/1/2011

This medication was prescribed for post-menopausal bleeding. It was prescribed for 10 days. I've gained 15 pounds in three months. I'm 5'4" and weight 207 pounds. I've lost 3 pounds in one month on a supervised diet. I was rushed to the ER last Saturday with chest pains. I had a cardiac catheterization which showed a mild tear in my artery which, according to the cardiologist was likely the result of using megace.

Mizz Drake | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/23/2011

I have only been on this medication for about 4 days now. My doctors recommended I take it for 1 month prior to my sterilization. So far the only side effect I have is mild to moderate cramps (feels like my period is about to start,but its nowhere near time for it to start. This is some constipation. No biggie. Raw veggies do the trick. I am horrified to hear of the weight gain. I am obese and just lost 30lbs. I REALLY HAVE TO WATCH WHAT I EAT for the next 30 days!!!!!

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/13/2011
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs

I began taking this medicine after 3 months of solid bleeding and spotting. After only 3 days of taking it I have stopped bleeding. I had the rx for 4 months but was afraid of the weight gain side affect. I have not gained any weight after 2 months. I wished I would have started it sooner.

Billy | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/17/2011
Anonymous | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/1/2011

I am a 27 Year old woman have been taken this medication for about two months went from 105 to 110 but all the weight seems to be going to my stomach, loss of wanting sex, mood swings, and no monthly period. So dont think im going to continue taking it. Hope its safe to stop.