This medication has been a key part of my medications for controlling bi-polar disorder.

Nightingale_Cross | 35-44 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
7/14/2017
Condition: Bipolar Depression

I've been on this medicine for over 5 years. It has been so successful that all of my other medications are designed around it. I will NOT stop taking it. It's quieted my mind, slowed racing thoughts, no more songs stuck in my head for weeks. I do take this with another mood stabilizer but I've been on this one much longer. I couldn't function without it. I've recommended it to family and a few other people. All have had good experiences. When I started taking this medicine I, and others around me, noticed a real difference in my personality and my moods. This is the first medicine to make me feel human again. I love it.

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female |
9/6/2011
Condition: Bipolar Depression

This medication almost killed me! I went into spasms, no control over my body at time, blured vision, milgraines, rash, congestion, sweeled up my whole body, body stiffness to the point of imobility, and ultimatly almost died within a 72 hr window! This drug should be banned! Don't use it!

jad6161 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
2/25/2011
Condition: Simple Partial Seizures

My 6 yr old son has hemi-paritic CP and seizures caused by underdevelopment of his brain due to an inter-uterine stroke. At age 8 mos we 1st saw him seize and his condition was diagnosed (although I noticed weakness in his right limbs from birth). He was first put on phenobarbitol. That worked for about 12 mos. Then triliptal for abt a yr. Then we did the Ketogenic Diet for 6 mos. It stopped the seizures very well!, but was difficult to maintain. After a cpl yrs of no meds he started having seizures again. Zonisamide worked for about a yr before more break-through seizures started. Now we give him 50 mg Lamictal morning and night along with 200 mg Zonisamide with 10 ml liquid melatonin at night. So far it's going good. Only 2 seizures since we started Lamictal and they were unusually mild and easy to stop. SUCCESS!! Our Pediatric neurologist warned us of the allergic reaction and b/cuz of that we've built up to this dose very slowly and will continue til we reach the therapeutic dose, then hopefully ween him off the Zonisamide which we suspect is causing aggressive behavior, especially at school. I wonder however, if my son's apparent inability to keep his hands to himself may be a symptom of ADD or ADHD (both of his parents, his brothers, and many of his aunts and uncles have ADD/ADHD). That aside, lamictal seems to be working well for him right now.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/12/2009

somewhat effective for depression

PamelaO | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/16/2009

DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! I did get Steven-Johnsons Syndrome/TENS and almost died. They say it happens rarely in adults - but I totally disagree. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION.