I've been taking Ambien for about 5 yrs. for chronic insomnia and night terror/nightmares. It has been a lifesaver for me but it IS a tricky drug. Take it when you are actually ready to go to sleep and you are already IN BED. Don't get back up!!! or you will be walking around the house eating, having weird conversations with your significant other about things that you would probably not be talkin...

Although it helps you fall asleep, it often stays in your system for greater than 8 hours. Per 60 minutes, it can impair cognition equivalent to being legally drunk. It was not safe to take on days that I was working.

Anonymous |
5/8/2021

Bko | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/5/2021
Condition: Difficulty Falling Asleep

I take Xanax and adderall so after a 10 hour workday, my mind gets restless. Thinking too much. So Ambien knocks me out. Getting a Rx

Anonymous |
4/17/2021

Bailey | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
3/3/2021

I take it for insomnia but a PTSD Psychiatrist who was formerly a brain surgeon said that a small increase will take away your nightmares and it has for the past 10 years. I no longer have to re-live those events. Sleep like a baby.

ElPolloDiablo | 45-54 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/11/2021
Condition: Chronic Trouble Sleeping

How I wish my insurance would still cover this, even if it was at tier 3 and cost me $200 a prescription. Prior to starting on this I would go 4-5 days without sleep. I'm not talking fitful sleep where I would toss and turn, but 4-5 days awake for the entire 24 hours of the day. There is a reason sleep deprivation is a torture method. It is horrid. Ambien changed my life. I would take one, then I would have about 15 minutes to get to where I was sleeping. I would close my eyes and not open them for 8 hours. The only drawback is that it is an amnestic, so it may be that you get up at night and do some stuff, like raid the fridge, and not remember. It is also a bit of a truth serum in that you find yourself talking before you think about what you're saying. Best way to handle that is to take it when you get into bed. If your insurance covers this, or if you have the means, insist on this rather than generic zolpidem. I've heard professionals swear that generics are equivalent to brand names, but they are not in my experience. The effect and time for delivery is vastly varied depending on which generic manufacturer you are using. I have found some to have no little to no effect. Maybe it's just me.