I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 15 years, this is the only medication that controlls my flare ups. And I was able to use it during both pregnancies without complications or birth defects. I use it every other night, no fun, but it works for me. My grandmother was also recently diagnosed with UC, and this is the only medication that works for her as well.

Rowasa is effective, stopping flares within a couple of days for me, but now my doc wants me to use it EVERY night! An enema every night. Oh, joy. That'll cramp your love life! He said I can use 1/2 the bottle, or can hold it in for only 15 minutes, if that is the most I am willing to do. I took Lialda for a year, and it caused more diarrhea. Just switched to Asacol. We'll see...

Barry Allen | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/20/2016
Condition: Ulceration of the Rectum

The medication works wonders for me in minutes whenever the pain and discomfort kicks in. I put 1 star for difficulty using it cause you have to be insane if you get any injoyment from sticking alittle tube up your ass...

pearl | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
12/18/2012
Condition: Inflammation of the Sigmoid Colon and the Rectum

I have used this twice for flares of ulcerative colitis. It has worked within a week to stop the blood and mucous and have had no side effects. It works for me.

RF | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/11/2012
Condition: Inflammation of the Sigmoid Colon and the Rectum

I have been diagnosed with chronic proctitis {inflammation of the rectum} due to an immune response. I have found the administration of mesalamine to be inconvenient but not impossible. I am able to retain all night, but after Day 14 on a 28-day treatment, I have been experiencing marked flu-like symptoms, gas that wakes me up in the middle of the night and diarrhea that really disrupts my work day. Hopefully, it will reduce/eliminate the inflammation, but so far the side effects are worse than the condition.

pregoncemore | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/21/2010
Condition: Ulcerated Colon

krise7228 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/24/2010
Condition: Ulcerated Colon

I have used this medication in the past for only 14 days at a time. That was prior to my U.C. becoming as severe as it is now. The medication now helped at first but now seems to make me feel worse than I did before, including severe nausea. I haven't used it for about 5 days and have seen vast improvement on the way I am feeling as far as nausea and vomiting.