Call 911 if the person:
- Has trouble breathing
- Shows signs of shock
1. Get Help Immediately
- Call your health care provider or go to a hospital emergency room.
- If possible, kill the spider and take it to the doctor with you.
2. Treat Symptoms
- Apply ice on the way to the health care provider's office or emergency room to relieve pain and swelling.
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will examine and clean the wound.
- The person may require a tetanus shot or booster, depending on the date of the last injection.
- A person with severe symptoms -- such as intense pain and cramping or high blood pressure -- may be admitted to the hospital. Antivenin may be needed.