Hyphema (Bleeding in Eye) Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Whitney Seltman, OD on November 09, 2022

Call 911

1. Get Medical Help Immediately

  • Get an immediate appointment with an eye doctor, call 911, or take the person to a hospital emergency room.

2. Protect the Eye

3. Follow Up

  • An eye doctor will examine the eye and prescribe treatment based on what's causing the bleeding and how severe it is. The person may need to use eye drops or wear a patch.
  • Rarely, surgery is needed to relieve pressure in the eye.