Ricin is a poison made from castor beans, from which castor oil derives. It can be in the form of powder, mist or pellet. Exposure to ricin may lead to severe organ damage and death.
1. Get Away From the Source
- If you are outdoors, move away from the area where ricin was released.
- If ricin was released indoors, get out of the building.
2. Call 911
3. Remove Contaminated Clothing
- Do not remove clothing over the person's head. Cut or tear it off.
- Place contaminated clothing and anything that touches it into a plastic bag.
- Seal the bag, put the bag into another plastic bag, and seal that bag.