Medicare Part B

Medicare Part B is an optional Medicare plan that covers outpatient care. For instance, it pays for visits to a doctor’s office, tests, and preventive health care like cancer screenings and vaccines. Part B also covers some medical supplies, like blood sugar test strips, therapeutic shoes, and more.

This coverage is available to three basic groups -- those over age 65 who are getting Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits, the disabled, and those with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) or end-stage kidney disease. 

For Medicare Part B, you may pay:

  • A standard monthly premium in2021 of $148.50. However, if you annual income over $88,000 you will pay $207.90 to $504.90, depending on your income
  • A deductible, which is a set amount you pay each year before Part B starts paying for any of your care; for 2021, the deductible for most people is $147.00.
  • Twenty percent of the Medicare-approved amount for some types of care; these are doctor's appointments, physical therapy, diabetes supplies, durable medical equipment like commode chairs, wheelchairs, and others. You have to meet your deductible before Medicare begins to cover 80% of your care, leaving you to pay the remaining 20%.
  • If you see a doctor who has not signed an agreement to accept Medicare-approved amounts, you may pay more -- possibly up to the full cost -- for a doctor's visit and care.

If you don’t sign up for Part B when you are first eligible, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty every month.

WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Sarah Goodell on June 21, 2021
© 2021 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

WebMD Special Sections