Everyone's needs are different, which is why the National Academy of Sciences recommends a range of 10% to 35% of calories from protein. If you're eating a higher-protein diet, try daily menus like this one to get the most nutrition from your low-carb lifestyle.
Sample Menu Nutrients (depending on portion size)
- 1,500-1,600 calories
- 46% carbohydrates
- 22% protein
- 30% fat
Yogurt fruit crunch with:
- Low fat yogurt (8 oz. or 1 cup)
- Sliced fresh fruit: banana, strawberries, blueberries (1/2 cup)
- Low fat cereal (3/4 cup)
Orange juice fortified with calcium (6 oz.)
Vegetable soup (1 cup)
Spinach salad with:
- Fresh spinach (1 cup)
- One hard-boiled egg
- Sliced, grilled chicken breast (3 oz.)
- Shredded carrots (1/2 cup)
- Sliced mushrooms (1/2 cup)
- Dried cranberries (2 tablespoons)
- Crumbled feta cheese (1 tablespoons)
- Chopped almonds (1 tablespoons)
- Low calorie dressing (2 tablespoons)
Whole grain crackers (4 to 6)
Sparkling water with lemon
Roasted Pecan Salmon [see recipe below]
Steamed asparagus with lemon (1/2 cup)
Brown rice with chopped red pepper (1/2 cup)
Mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes and light vinaigrette (1 cup w/ 2 tablespoons dressing)
One whole-grain roll
Iced tea (unsweetened)
One cup skim milk and 1/2 cup berries blended with ice to make a shake.
ROASTED PECAN SALMON
4 salmon filets (4-6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1 teaspoon parsley
Wedges of fresh lemon
1. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place skin side down on baking sheet.
2. Combine mustard and honey, brush on top of salmon.
3. Mix topping of breadcrumbs, nuts, and parsley and sprinkle over salmon.
4. Bake at 400 degrees 10-15 minutes or until flaky. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon.
Nutritional Information per serving: 265 calories, 29 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 4.7 g monounsaturated fat, 4.3 g polyunsaturated fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 0.4 grams fiber, 282 grams sodium and 42% calories from fat.