WebMD Countdown: 10 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Hide Video Transcript

Video Transcript

Man's best friend-- a big part of loving them means watching what they put in their mouths, which, as you know, is pretty much anything. But do you know that there are some surprising foods that are life threatening to your furry friend? Here are 10 foods that your canine should never, ever eat. Number 10, avocados. This guacamole staple isn't good for your best bud.

Now, while usually OK in small amounts, a large serving can lead to stomach upset, and the pit can get caught in your dog's digestive system, sometimes requiring surgery. Number nine, hops. Good for making beer, but bad for your canine buddy. Hops can lead to dangerous fevers, and organ failure. Number eight, macadamia nuts. The island treat tastes great to us, but if you eaten by your dog, may cause rear leg weakness, fever, and tremors.

Number seven, moldy foods. That prized piece of bread, and other moldy stuff that he steals from the trash can cause tremors and convulsions that can lead to death in severe cases. Number six, alcohol. The human hangover hurts, but dogs are even more sensitive to the potent potables. They can experience vomiting and disorientation, and in severe cases, coma, seizures, and death.

Number five, onions, including shallots and garlic. Eating these in any form can wreak havoc on a dog's red blood cells, causing fatigue, and even the need for a blood transfusion. Number four, grapes and raisins. Not only are they a choking hazard, but in some dogs they can cause kidney failure, lethargy, muscle weakness, and diarrhea.

It's unknown why only some dogs are affected, but even if your dog has eaten them in the past without a problem, they can have a reaction the next time, so it's best to stay away from them altogether. Number three, artificial sweeteners. Not only can they upset your dog's stomach, but one type, xylitol, is extremely dangerous for dogs. This stuff shows up in things like sugar free gum, and if eaten can cause seizures, disorientation, and even liver failure.

Number two-- you spend a ton of dough on your dogs, but real dough and dogs do not mix. Raw dough, like bread or pizza dough, is a no go. And the number one most dangerous dish that your doggie can down is chocolate. The caffeine and theobromine in chocolate can cause vomiting, abdominal discomfort, irregular heart rhythms, seizures, and even death.

And the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous for your dog. Listen, while these are the main culprits, you just never know how your dog will react to people food, so it's best to avoid sharing. And remember, if you think your dog has ingested something toxic, call your vet, or the pet poison helpline at 855-764-7661, or the ASPCA hotline at 888-426-4435.