I am taking Horse Chestnut for my varicose veins (300 mg morning and night). They have been extremely effective in reducing the pain and heaviness in my calf. I recently ran out of tablets, and within a week I noticed that my calf started aching again. I need to take them with food, otherwise they make me extremely nauseous. (I accidentally took one on an empty stomach, and I threw up.) I also no...

Today will be the first time I am taking this.

John | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
5/9/2019
Condition: Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)

I'm usually pretty skeptical of such things. An older friend of mine had suggested Horse Chestnut when I had told him about leg pains

Josephina | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
4/22/2019
Condition: Varicose veins

Taking for varicose veins. Noticed immediately that my veins were more itchy for a while, then they settled down. Knots are smoothing out. Tired legs much improved. I notice if I skip a couple of days - the tired heavy legs come back. Have to take after food, I take in the evening as it can make me feel light headed and burning stomach. I have noticed though, with second bottle that the side effects are less.

Age: 35-44 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/4/2018
Condition: Varicose veins

Day 1 my varicose veins no longer raised above skin, day 4 discoloration is fading. I do NOT have chronic veins but have been aware of aching, veins becoming more pronounced and noticable and have a hereditary predisposition. I am very pleased with the results. I am taking 1 capsule in standardized form by Nature's Way brand. I think I will limit use to around my menstrual cycle as that seems to be a source of edema and stress on my veins.

beaver | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
2/23/2018
Condition: Venous insufficiency

Took Horse Chestnut for itching in shin that didn't go away. Experienced immediate positive results, which subsided within a month. Now my feet are tingling and have stabbing pain in them. Not sure if this is a side effect of HC, but will likely stop taking it to see if the pain in my feet goes away.

chaz | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
10/7/2017
Condition: Venous insufficiency

I have been drinking horse chestnut tea imported from Europe for several years - using 2 or 3 tea bags each day to make tea with stevia. It does seem to help with increasing blood flow to the legs and decreasing swelling. However I did not know that the leaves, twigs, and seeds were potentially poisonous. So just to be cautious I am going to try the standardized extract pills instead of tea, since I do not know if the hazardous elements are removed from the tea bags that I use, or if they might leach through into the tea I drink (i.e. the article mentioned a possible adverse effect of horse chestnut tea on children). I have also read that grape seed extract and pine bark extract are useful for venous insufficiency.Read More Read Less

Sarah | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
9/19/2017

I take this for hemorrhoids. I had 9 external ones and after 1 week I'm down to 3. I also use coconut oil on the area. The combination of the two seems to work wonders. I take this product (Natures Way Brand) with food and have had no side effects. Highly recommend it for hemorrhoids.

biotine | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |
7/9/2017

I needed for loss of hair.....still loosing my hair.....thank you

tmk9404 | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
6/26/2017
Condition: Varicose veins

took my first capsule after eating a meal. with in 1 hour my eyes burned, itched and i felt sick to my stomach. my head became very dizzy feeling. I was hoping for a good result but appearently i am not going to be able to take this product.

mV1953 | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
4/9/2017
Condition: Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)

I had used many over the counter remedies and never worked. I was surprised ehn a huge ball on my veins stop hurting. Is not a magic wand but for me has worked altough it might not work for others. One side effect is that you can get dizzy spells.

Barbara | Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
11/7/2016
Condition: Varicose veins

After schlerotherapy on my veins my ulcer has cleared up and I believe was helped by using horsechestnut extract.

Julie | Age: 75 or over | On supplement for less than 1 month |
8/4/2016
Condition: Venous insufficiency

Concerned with strange possible after effects

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
1/6/2016
Condition: Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)

I only took it for the first time trying to treat my leg circulation, vericose veins and bakers cyst swelling behind the knee from walking too much. My heart start racing 100 per minute. I tend to have rapid pulse but 100 is fast for me. I do have mitral valve regurgitation. so if you tend to have heart palpiation sensitivity to certain drug or chemicals, this may not be for you.

Italia0376 | Age: 35-44 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
12/14/2015
Condition: Venous insufficiency

I have been using this 2x a day for less than a month as recommended. It does not interfere with my Coumadin levels. I have felt and seen a difference with ache and swelling. Since its only been about a month, I can say I have about 80% less swelling and very little fatigue. This is without wearing my compression. I hope to get almost to 100% a few more months in. Great value at Puritan Pride site, and I like how it does not upset my stomach at all. I have had no negative side effects.

Age: 75 or over | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
11/29/2015
Condition: Varicose veins

Symptoms somewhat reduced as to leg discoloration and problems. No apparent side effects.

weezycom | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
9/11/2015
Condition: Venous insufficiency

ankles not cankles! Just a few days after starting using the horse chestnut supplements, I've seen a remarkable improvement in my feet & ankles. Persistent uncomfortable swelling is gone, puffy ankles are normal looking again. No problems with tummy troubles but I think it does keep me from dropping off to sleep easily, so I'll take it earlier in the day. I can feel a little something, not tingling but sort of like that, in my calves and over my lower shinbone about 30 minutes after taking it that lasts for about 45 minutes or so. Not uncomfortable but just a slightly different sensation. Very happy to have such a good result so quickly.Read More Read Less

Natures way Horse chestnut | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
4/6/2015

Took Horse chestnut 250mg. w calendula 100mg.broke out w red ichy spots

Age: 55-64 |
3/14/2015
Condition: Varicose veins

make me sick to my stomach and I do eat before I take it

Age: 35-44 | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |
12/31/2014
Condition: Venous insufficiency

Have used for years to treat hemorrhoids for years very successfully which - being quite bloody - anusol was failing to control alone. Also suffered from unprovoked blood clot in lower leg and took whilst on Warfarin to no impact on INR as far as I could tell. It seems horse chestnut promotes blood flow through strengthening of vein walls rather than by "blood thinning" as some other sources claim. At least in my experience. The one side effect of persistent use I am aware of is a drying of the skin especially on shins and arms.Read More Read Less

Age: 55-64 |
9/21/2014

Today will be the first time I am taking this.

Angella | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
9/4/2014
Condition: Varicose veins

After taking for a few days I feel tightening in my feet and between the toes is a burning sensation. I dont know if to continue or stop. The first time this happened I stop the tablets for some months and now I started back and its the same thing.