I have taken frequently taken kava since the mid-1990s. I also get semi-annual physicals that include liver function tests. Every test has shown excellent numbers for liver health. As other reviewers have written, kava root is safe. The harm can come from unscrupulous merchants who cut costs by including stems and roots, which can cause liver damage. I purchase organic kava from a Hawaiian company...

I was taking 40 mg of Prozac daily and was weaned off at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. I would sometimes still battle with panic attacks and anxiety so I took kava without seeking medical advice. Even though it helped my anxiety I experienced HEAVY sleepiness which affected my work and moderate to sometimes severe stomach pains in just a short amount of time. This is very unusual for me I...

Jenn6743 | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
4/26/2021
Condition: Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)

I am seeing good results so far.

Justahuman | Age: 19-24 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
4/26/2021

Worked well for me

Grandad | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
5/26/2020
Condition: Insomnia

Kava has been helpful in allowing me to relax and sleep longer. However, it sometimes gives me disturbing, realistic, horrifying nightmares. I avoid alcohol when using it as it is supposedly hard on the liver when combined with the devil's drink. Blood tests reveal my TSH is out of range when I've been using it. Not sure if it's the Kava though.

unclejerryskid | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for 6 months to less than 1 year |
8/11/2019
Condition: Anxiety

having anxiety fot all my life-68years and on different meds benzos for last 30 years.stopped meds in Jan 2019 on to kava perfect results no anxiety or the sleepy side effects not to mention withdrawals from xanax,kava kava works like i had hoped benzos would try the kava it works

Age: 25-34 |
1/13/2019
Condition: Anxiety

Terrible vendor!!! KAVATIME DONT BUY HERE I do love kava and have tried many vendors. It works really well for my anxiety. just be careful some vendors like KAVATIME just want to charge you expensive express shipment and they cannot fulfill what is promised. They fail to mention disclaimers of shipping. You pay for express shipping and all you get is excuses of why it has not been sent out yet after days. They dont list information were customers will see it and falsely advertise shipping, and steal money from us customers. Unprofessional. They argue back. I have to speak up and fight for my refund. How many customers have been tricked by these people. BECAREFUL!! vendor even states "We are not responsible if information made available on this site is not accurate, complete or current" on their policy page. You are charged so much money with terrible customer service and they take no responsinility and make it hard to get money back.Read More Read Less

9/1/2018
Condition: Anxiety

Kava does wonders for me but theres some unpleasent side effects that come along with it.. ive been taking choice brand kava extract and it works very well, but it makes me really tired so i take it at night. It also makes it really hard to urinate which is the most annoying side effect..

KavaNut | Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
2/9/2018
Condition: Anxiety

A safe alternative to alcohol and benzodiazepines. It works the same way as them on GABA A Receptors. The difference is that there are no side effects or any addictive properties. Works great for anxiety.

AliDee | Age: 25-34 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/8/2017
Condition: Anxiety

I have been diluting an alcohol-free kava kava DRIED ROOT extract tincture in a beverage. I feel safe taking it, as I believe the webMD side effects are listings for the entire plant, which parts have ill side effects, but not specifically for the dried roots- which I believe are in fact safe. I found this to be fast acting, effective, calming, and relatively long lasting. I drink 20-30 drops in tea a couple times a day and have been doing so for about a week and a half. I have experienced NO ill side effects, and have noticed improvement in mood and stress-levels, and the speed of my thoughts slows down. I am also on other psychiatric medications, and have experienced NO interactions. This doesn't provide complete and ultimate relief for me, as I have very severe symptoms, however it is a good aid and helps to an extent, and when I get upset, I have a cup of tea with the extract. Again, the dried roots I have read are not poisonous to your liver, as the rest of the plant is, and in years past companies were making it wrong, find a reputable company that makes it the proper way and I believe it is safe for daily use for long periods of time.Read More Read Less

Age: 65-74 |
12/25/2016
Condition: Sleep

On those nights when I have a difficult time relaxing enough to sleep I put a drop or two in a cup of chamomile tea and the two let me fall asleep quickly with no after effects. Excellent stuff.

teluwot | Age: 65-74 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
12/7/2016
Condition: Anxiety

I found a bottle of Kava Kava tincture in a Health shop about 15 year ago, before it was banned. I found it incredibly effective for anxiety. Everything panned out smooth as velvet. A Lady I told about it had just lost her Father and she found it v helpful too. Was so sorry we coldn't get it again. Tons better than prescription drugs and their often horrible effects.

alienmeatsack | Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to 6 months |
11/16/2016
Condition: Benzodiazepine withdrawal

I found Kava looking for something to help me feel more normal while I tapered off benzos. I'd tried almost everything until I found Kava. Preparing it is a pain unless you use instant, pills, etc. But I think its worth it. If you are having an extreme anxiety issue or benzo withdrawal, Kava will give you some releif. However, keep in mind that it works with some of the same receptors that the benzos you are trying to get off of does. So it can prolong withdrawal. You decide quality of life over a little extra time tapering. I also recommend the Aluball method for those who want to make a cup of Kava but dont want to spend 10-20 minutes massaging it.Read More Read Less

Age: 35-44 |
11/2/2016

A natural short term relaxant (but not sedative). It feels like the opposite of one cup of coffee. Kava won't cure anything, but it may alleviate anxiety, depression, or boredom in the short term.

ontnurse | Age: 55-64 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
6/27/2016
Condition: Anxiety

I have severe anxiety and have tried many many meds including benzos.I find benzos are short acting and very difficult to obtain from your Dr. I found this online.Kava has been wonderful for me.I hope they do not ban it. I feel calm and happie than I have been in months.I truly did not think this would work but I was pleasantly surprised.

Kava Figian by wakacon | Age: 19-24 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
6/8/2016
Condition: Benzodiazepine withdrawal

This is the day of my first using it but I can tell that it is going to help me out tremendously. In the reason for taking this treatment came up I put in benzodiazepine withdrawal but really it's just regular opiate withdrawal and it seems to still help a lot so I hope I helped anybody who's going through that miserable time in their life.

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
1/17/2016
Condition: Sleep
Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 2 to less than 5 years |
8/19/2015
Condition: Anxiety

When I feel anxiety attack brewing I take two 425mg Kava Kava capsules and my anxiety dissipates. I feel nothing unusual except my anxiety is significantly reduced or gone. I have experienced no noticeable side effects although I take them on an as needed basis not as a daily supplement.

Age: 25-34 | On supplement for less than 1 month |
7/30/2015
Condition: Stress
Nature's Best Meds | Age: 25-34 | On supplement for 1 to less than 2 years |
5/13/2015
Condition: Anxiety

I learned about Kava Kava while researching an upcoming trip I had to Hawaii. I purchased Kava Kava in its ground form and made the traditional South Pacific recipe by mashing the raw, ground kava root into coconut milk. I purchased a cloth strainer that works great for this purpose and I really enjoy the traditional method. It takes some time to mash into the milk and needs to be done by hand to be effective. However, I don't always have time to make this drink. I've found the pills to be very effective tool in these times. Kava Kava is best described as a mind opening herb. The root helps me to take in my surroundings and open my mind for critical listening and critical thinking. It also is an effective pain killer and sedative. I don't usually take Kava Kava at night, however. I find it best to take my Kava in the morning or early afternoon. Usually I like taking it to assist with my interactions between coworkers and customers; I'm in the retail and home improvement industry. Kava puts me in a good state to take in information and process it with a level head. It definitely helps with Anxiety and also has helped with my minor aches and pains. I recommend Kava to anyone and everyone, it is one of mother earth's best medicines. Read More Read Less

Age: 55-64 | On supplement for 10 years or more |
12/2/2014
Condition: Insomnia

Effective and no more smoking weed or any alcohol..18yrs clean, just Kava??

Age: 45-54 | On supplement for 5 to less than 10 years |
11/9/2014
Condition: Anxiety

I have used freshly prepared kava 'tea' for about 6 years to control my anxiety before speeches, flights, and exams with good results. I learned how to use it when I visited Samoa, and it really is best prepared in the traditional manner - very safe and effective. As others have said, make sure you get it from a reputable source. Ground stems will make you ill - it must be the root only. I order it online from Hawaii or a kava bar on the mainland. Too much in one sitting will give you a raw stomach. Read More Read Less