Skip to content

    ADHD in Children Health Center

    Font Size

    Sharing a Diagnosis: When You and Your Child Have ADHD

    The ADHD Household continued...

    Not only is this bad for the child with ADHD, but it can put a huge burden on the non-ADHD spouse, who has to take on all of the responsibility.

    So sometimes, the best thing you can do as a parent of a child with ADHD is get treatment yourself.

    “Parents with ADHD need to see that getting treatment isn’t only for their own well-being,” says McCracken. “It’s doing the right thing for the whole family.”

    Adult ADHD: Getting Help

    If you think you might have adult ADHD, what should you do next? Here are some tips.

    • Take a self assessment. Adler recommends taking the ADHD Adult Self-Report Scale Screener developed by the World Health Organization. It won’t give you a diagnosis. But it might give you and your doctor some sense of how likely it is you have adult ADHD.
    • Talk to your family. Often, it’s the people around us who have the best impression of our behavior. Talk to your spouse or kids or close friends. Show them some information about adult ADHD and get their take. In their opinion, do the ADHD symptoms describe you?
    • Research the condition. Start reading about ADHD. Ramsay recommends web sites such as CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) and ADDA (Attention Deficit Disorder Association). Or you could check out any of the numerous books on adult ADHD written for the public.
    • Research your own history. To make a diagnosis of ADHD, your doctor will want to establish that you had symptoms as a child. So delve a little into your past. Talk to your siblings or parents and get their impression of what you were like as a kid -- your doctor might even want to speak to them, if possible. Start digging around in old files or your scrapbook. Doctors often find documentation - like old report cards or notes from teachers - helpful in confirming a diagnosis.
    • See a doctor. You can always start with your family doctor, but it’s quite possible that he or she won’t know much about adult ADHD. If you happen to live in a big city or near a university, see if there’s a local clinic that specializes in adult ADHD. If not, the best bet may be to talk to a child psychiatrist or psychologist - maybe even your son or daughter’s doctor. Experts say that they’re often much more knowledgeable about ADHD than those who specialize in adult mental health. Your child’s doctor might have the best advice about where to go for a diagnosis and what sorts of resources are available locally.

    Today on WebMD

    doctor writing on clipboard
    mother with child
    disciplining a boy
    daughter with her unhappy parents
    preschool age girl sitting at desk
    Child with adhd
    father helping son with homework
    doctor writing on clipboard