How to Handle Your Spring Allergies
Are There Natural Remedies for Allergies? continued...
. This herb, which comes from a European shrub, shows potential for relieving seasonal allergy symptoms. Some studies show butterbur -- specifically an extract called Ze 339 -- to work as well at easing allergy symptoms as some antihistamines.
Quercetin. This nutrient is found in onions, apples, and black tea. It’s been shown in research to block the release of histamines.
Stinging nettle. Although some people use freeze-dried stinging nettle leaves to treat allergy symptoms, there isn’t much research to show that it works.
Talk to your doctor before you start any herbal product. Some can cause side effects or can react with medications you take.
5 Tips to Keep Pollen at Bay
- Try to stay indoors whenever the pollen count is very high. The counts usually peak in the mornings.
- Keep your doors and windows closed during the spring months to keep allergens out. An air purifier may also help.
- Clean the air filters in your home often. Also, clean bookshelves, vents, and other places where pollen can collect.
- Wash your hair after going outside, because the allergen can collect there.
- Vacuum twice a week. Wear a mask, because vacuuming can kick up pollen, mold, and dust that were trapped in your carpet.