How to Protect Your Sinuses
Use these tips to reduce inflammation and prevent problems:
- Apply a warm, moist washcloth to your face several times a day to help open the transition spaces.
- Drink plenty of fluids to thin the mucus.
- Inhale steam two to four times per day. Sit in the bathroom with the hot shower running.
- Use a nasal saline spray several times per day.
- Wash your nose with a salt water solution from a neti pot.
- Get a humidifier to moisten the air you breathe and help open sinuses.
If your sinus problems are related to allergies:
- Avoid your allergy triggers.
- Use antihistamines and decongestants if needed.
- Talk to your doctor to see if you need prescription medicines, allergy shots, or other forms of "immunotherapy" (such as under-the-tongue tablets).
- Lastly, if your sinus problems keep coming back, you can ask your doctor about the pros and cons of surgery to clean and drain the sinuses.