Are you crying during sentimental TV shows or when your husband forgets to do the simplest things? Mood swings and crying spells are a normal part of pregnancy, especially during your first trimester as hormones ramp up. It also takes some time to absorb the emotional weight of life's big changes, like having a child. Take a deep breath. It’s your pregnancy, you can cry if you want to!
Call Doctor If:
You have symptoms of depression that last longer than two weeks:
Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Changes in appetite
- Trouble concentrating
- Loss of interest in things you once enjoyed
- Feeling guilty or worthless
- Thoughts about hurting yourself or the baby
- Get support from other pregnant moms – online or in a local support group.
- Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can lessen your ability to handle stress. Aim for eight hours a night.
- Move! Regular physical activity helps shore up your coping mechanisms.
- Eat healthy. Stay away from alcohol. Limit caffeine, sugar, and processed foods.