Skip to content

    Breast Cancer Health Center

    Select An Article

    Breast Cancer Doctors and Specialists

    Font Size

    What Does Each Specialist Do? continued...

    Surgical oncologist. A doctor who specializes in the surgical treatment of cancer. Surgical oncologists perform biopsies and other operations such as removing a lump or a breast. These doctors have completed their general surgery training and have received additional training in surgical oncology.

    Breast surgeon. A doctor who specializes in the surgical removal of breast tumors and lymph nodes while saving as much of the breast as possible. These doctors may also do biopsies to diagnose or treat the cancer.

    Plastic surgeon. A surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction.

    Radiologist. A doctor who is trained in reading X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds, and other forms of imaging that look into the body.

    Pathologist. A doctor who checks tissue samples under a microscope. Pathologists decide whether cancer is present, its size, whether the surgery removed all the cancer, and how many lymph nodes have cancer, if any. The pathologist's report also tells the stage of a cancer.

     Radiation oncologist. A doctor trained in treating cancer with radiation.

    Other health care professionals may be involved in your breast cancer treatment, including:

    • Oncology nurses. Nurses with special skills who pass a certifying test.
    • Radiation technologist. A professional who helps place you in the correct treatment position and delivers the proper radiation dose to the proper site.
    • Radiation physicist. A professional who helps plan the radiation dosage and treatment field to make it as safe as possible.


    How Do I Find a Specialist to Treat my Breast Cancer?

    Your primary care doctor can refer you to a specialist to treat your breast cancer. You can also get the names of specialists from a medical society, your local hospitals, and medical schools. In addition, the American Board of Medical Specialties publishes The Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists. This publication lists a specialist's name, education, and specialty field. The directory can be purchased, but it is also available at no charge through or at most public libraries.

    WebMD Medical Reference

    Reviewed by Jennifer Robinson, MD on May 05, 2015
    1 | 2
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    Breast Cancer Overview
    From mammograms to living after treatment.
    Dealing with breast cancer
    Get answers to your questions.
    woman having mammogram
    The 3 latest tips to know.
    woman undergoing breast cancer test
    Most abnormalities aren’t breast cancer.
    Resolved To Quit Smoking
    Breast Cancer Treatments Improving
    Woman getting mammogram
    Screening Tests for Women
    serious woman
    Pink badge on woman chest to support breat cancer
    what is your cancer risk
    breast cancer survivors