Stages of Adult Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
There is no standard staging system for adult ALL.
The disease is classified as untreated, in remission, or recurrent.
Untreated adult ALL
The ALL is newly diagnosed and has not been treated except to relieve symptoms such as fever, bleeding, or pain.
- The complete blood count is abnormal.
- More than 5% of the cells in the bone marrow are blasts (leukemia cells).
- There are signs and symptoms of leukemia.
Adult ALL in remission
The ALL has been treated.
- The complete blood count is normal.
- 5% or fewer of the cells in the bone marrow are blasts (leukemia cells).
- There are no signs or symptoms of leukemia in the brain and spinal cord or elsewhere in the body.