This medication is used to treat a certain bladder condition (interstitial cystitis). Dimethyl sulfoxide is also known as DMSO. It is believed to reduce swelling and pain due to interstitial cystitis and may improve blood supply to the treated area.
This medication is placed into the bladder, usually through a tube (catheter device). The medication is kept in the bladder for at least 15 minutes or as directed by your doctor. After this time, urinate to remove the drug from the bladder.
This treatment is usually repeated every two weeks until relief of symptoms occurs. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
This medication is not meant to be given in any other way such as injection into a vein, muscle, or joint. Also, DMSO should not be placed into the bladder at the same time as any other medications.
Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Bladder pain and discomfort may occur. A garlic-like taste in the mouth may be noticed within minutes of placing this medication in the bladder. This taste may last several hours, and an odor on the breath or from the skin may be noticed for up to 3 days following use of this medication. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: vision changes.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using dimethyl sulfoxide, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: cancer of the urinary tract.
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your healthcare professionals (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. This medicine may be harmful if swallowed.
Do not share this medication with others.
Laboratory and/or medical tests (e.g., liver function, kidney function, complete blood counts, eye exams) should be performed from time to time to check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet