Natamycin is used to treat fungal eye infections. It works by stopping the growth of certain types of fungus.
This medication treats only fungal eye infections. It will not work for other types of eye infections. Unnecessary use or misuse of any drug used to treat infection can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
Use this medication in the affected eye(s) as directed by your doctor.
To apply eye drops, wash hands first. To avoid contamination, do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface.
Do not wear contact lenses while you are using this medication. Sterilize contact lenses according to the manufacturer's directions, and check with your doctor before you begin using them again.
Shake the bottle well before using. Tilt your head back, look upward, and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch. Hold the dropper directly over your eye and place one drop into the pouch. Look downward, gently close your eyes, and place one finger at the corner of your eye (near the nose). Apply gentle pressure for 1 to 2 minutes before opening your eyes. This will prevent the medication from draining out. Try not to blink or rub your eye. If directed to use this medication in both eyes, repeat these steps for your other eye. Do not rinse the dropper. Replace the dropper cap after each use.
If you are using another kind of eye medication (such as drops or ointments), wait at least 5 minutes before applying other medications. Use eye drops before eye ointments to allow the drops to enter the eye.
Wait several minutes for your vision to clear before driving or operating machinery.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Continue to use it for the full time prescribed, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may allow the fungus to continue to grow, which may result in a return of the infection.
This medication is usually prescribed for 2 to 3 weeks or until the infection is cured. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Eye discomfort or irritation may occur. If either of these effects persists or worsens, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using natamycin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
After you apply this drug, your vision may become temporarily blurred. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
It is unknown if this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
Some products that may interact with this drug include: corticosteroid eye medications (such as dexamethasone, prednisolone).
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Throw away the unused portion after treatment is completed. Do not use it later for another infection. A different medication may be necessary in that case.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from light and heat, or store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised November 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet