This medication is an insert that is placed in your eye to treat dry eyes. It is usually used when an artificial tears solution is not successful. This medication may also be used to treat certain other eye disorders (keratitis, decreased corneal sensitivity). It works by keeping the eye moist, helping to protect the eye from injury and infection and to decrease symptoms of dry eyes such as burning, itching, and feeling as if something is in the eye.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start using this medication and each time you get a refill. Learn all preparation and usage instructions. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
To apply this medication, wash your hands first. To avoid contamination, do not touch the insert or let it touch any other surface besides the applicator.
Use the supplied applicator to place 1 insert into the eye, usually 1 to 2 times daily or as directed by your doctor.
Rinse the applicator with hot running water after use. Shake off any visible water droplets, and then replace the applicator in the storage container.
Avoid rubbing your eyes when using this medication. If the insert comes out, you may replace it with another one.
Your doctor may direct you to also use an artificial tears solution or saline drops with this medication. Use those medications exactly as prescribed.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time(s) each day.
It may take several weeks to see the full benefit of this medication. Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or worsens.
Eye discomfort/irritation/redness, tearing, eye sensitivity to light, sticky eyelashes, or temporary blurred vision may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using hydroxypropyl cellulose, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: eye surgery/injury/infection/disease.
After you apply this drug, your vision may become temporarily blurred. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: other eye medications.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) away from heat. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet