Savella for Fibromyalgia Treatment
What Are the Potential Side Effects of Savella?
In trials of Savella, the most common side effect was nausea.
These are other common mild-to-moderate side effects of Savella:
- hot flush or excessive sweating
- palpitations or increased heart rate
- dry mouth
- high blood pressure
Before You Take Savella
Have a conversation with your doctor before taking Savella. Discuss the risks and benefits of antidepressant medications. And have a clear understanding about your treatment choices. In rare cases, antidepressant medications may cause suicidal thoughts and actions. But this occurs mainly in children, teens, and young adults. If you or a loved one is taking Savella, watch for unusual changes in thought patterns or behavior.
Do not take Savella if:
- You are taking or have recently taken another type of antidepressant called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- You have an eye disease called narrow-angle glaucoma
Before taking Savella, discuss with your doctor your use of other medications. This includes diuretics, triptans, or medications to treat psychiatric or neurological conditions. Ask if you should avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), aspirin, or other drugs that thin blood. Combining these with Savella may increase your risk of abnormal bleeding.
Also, before starting Savella, tell your doctor if you are nursing or pregnant or plan to become pregnant. And tell your doctor about any medical conditions you have, including:
- high blood pressure
- fast heart rate or other cardiac condition
- liver problems or a history of heavy alcohol use
- kidney problems
- history of mania or seizure disorders
- bleeding disorders
After You Begin Taking Savella
Take these precautions while on Savella:
- Do not drive or use machinery until you are certain Savella is not affecting your mental or physical abilities.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Talk with your doctor before stopping Savella and do not stop suddenly; this can cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Be sure to let your doctor know if you begin taking any other medications, including over-the-counter drugs.