Ankle Sprain Treatment
Go to the emergency room if: Pain, bruising, or swelling is severe, the ankle looks deformed or seems dislocated, or the person can't put any weight on the ankle.
1. Control Swelling
- Remove ankle bracelets or toe rings.
Do RICE therapy:
- Rest the ankle. Use crutches if necessary.
- Ice the ankle for 20 to 30 minutes several times a day for the first 2 days.
- Compress by wrapping the ankle lightly -- not tightly -- with an Ace bandage or elastic ankle brace.
- Elevate the ankle above heart level for the first 48 hours.
2. Manage Pain and Inflammation
- Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or aspirin for pain. But check with your doctor first if you have any medical conditions or take any other medicines.
3. See a Health Care Provider
- Make an appointment as soon as possible for any ankle sprain, mild or severe. Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 18 unless told to do so by a doctor.