1. Treat Symptoms
- Most styes go away on their own in about a week.
- Apply a warm compress for 5 to 10 minutes several times a day. Use a clean washcloth or towel soaked in warm water. Keep eyes closed.
2. Protect Against Infection
- Keep the area clean and avoid touching or rubbing the eyes.
3. Follow Up
In most cases, styes don't require medical care. Call your health care provider if:
- The stye doesn't heal in a week or 10 days.
- The stye becomes more painful or swollen after several days of home treatment.
- The person also has fever or chills.
- The person develops vision problems.
- The person has recurring styes.