Step by Step: Walking for Fitness
Need to start exercising? What could be easier than walking? Fitness walking reaps as many rewards as other physical activities, and you don't need special equipment or training.
The Basics of Fitness Walking continued...
Out and About
- Get off a stop or two early on the bus or subway, and walk the rest of the
- Park farther away at the shopping mall, and walk the extra distance.
- Walk around while waiting for a relative or friend's game to begin.
- Walk while waiting for the plane at the airport.
- See the sights in new cities by walking.
- At the beach, sit and watch the waves instead of lying flat. Better yet,
get up and walk, run, or fly a kite.
- When golfing, walk instead of using a cart.
Advice for Caregivers of Children
- Have kids walk to and from school.
- Provide time for activity in a school setting.
- Be an active role model.