Total Time: 55 mins
Sweet potatoes have all three of these antioxidants: vitamins A, C, and E. And they are the star ingredient in this side dish. You can make this recipe without peeling the sweet potatoes or the apples. Peel or don't peel, it's up to you.
- 5 cups sweet potatoes or yams, thinly sliced (1 1/2 sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups apples, such as pippin or Granny Smith, thinly sliced (2 small)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice, or orange juice
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, or chopped walnuts
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Step 2
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, apple slices, and brown sugar together. Spoon into a 9x9-inch or similar-sized baking dish.
- Step 3
- In a small bowl, blend syrup with cinnamon. Stir in the apple juice. Pour evenly over sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle walnuts over the top.
- Step 4
- Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake about 15 minutes longer (or until apple and sweet potatoes are cooked throughout).
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.