8 Healthy Snacks to Try Instead continued...
2. Nut Mixes
Don’t let the grams of fat per serving fool you. Most of the fat grams in mixed nut products are from beneficial monounsaturated fats (8 to 9 grams) and polyunsaturated fats (3 to 5 grams). Each ounce also contains approximately 5 grams of protein and plenty of healthful phytochemicals, such as phytosterols and lignans.
- Planters Nut*rition Wholesome Nut Mix, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
- Planters Nut*rition Heart Healthy Mix, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
- Blue Diamond Almonds Lightly Salted, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 16 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 40 mg sodium
- Emerald Deluxe Mixed Nuts, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 16 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 95 mg sodium
- Raley’s Fine Foods Lightly Salted Mixed Nuts, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 45 mg sodium
- Emerald Cinnamon Roast Almonds (contains sucralose and acesulfame potassium), 1 ounce: 150 calories, 13 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 40 mg sodium
3. Light Microwave Popcorn
When you're craving something crunchy, microwave popcorn can be a quick and easy snack solution. There are some lighter options on the shelves.
- Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 94% Fat Free Butter, 7.5 cups popped: 120 calories, 2 g total fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 4 g fiber, 240 mg sodium
- Jolly Time 100 Calorie, 2 tablespoons unpopped: 100 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 7 g fiber, 280 mg sodium
- Healthy Pop Butter, 5 cups popped: 110 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 210 mg sodium
- Smart Balance Smart’N Healthy, 5 cups popped: 120 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 85 mg sodium
4. Quick Microwave Nachos (Baked chips with beans and cheese)
This high-protein snack (about 14 grams protein) is easy to put together. Just put an ounce of baked tortilla chips in a microwave-safe bowl and dot the top with small spoonfuls of refried beans right out of the can. Sprinkle some hot sauce or salsa over the top along with a little shredded cheese. Pop in microwave for 30 seconds or so to heat the beans and melt the cheese. Jazz it up if you like by adding chopped tomato, green onions, and a dollop of fat-free sour cream.
- Baked tortilla chips, 1 ounce, with 1/3-cup Fat-Free Refried Beans and 1 ounce Reduced-Fat Cheese: 252 calories, 8.3 g total fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 6 g fiber, 652 mg sodium