3 Ways to Cook Eggs
Think eggs are only morning fare? These breakfast stars can dazzle at dinner and shine at lunch, too.
Hash Brown Veggie Quiche
This quiche recipe uses breakfast potatoes to make a crisp, gluten-free crust. A great meal for vegetarians, the quiche works well with a salad or fresh fruit on the side.
Makes 6 servings
2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes, defrosted if frozen, and squeezed dry
1 egg white (from 1 large egg), beaten
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
1/2 cup shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
6 large eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Toss potatoes with egg white until thoroughly coated. Press potato mixture evenly against the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate or springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until set. Remove from oven, and reduce heat to 350°F.
3. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat to medium-high. Sauté onion until brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Add red pepper and broccoli, and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Layer vegetables and cheese over the prebaked crust.
4. In a medium bowl, beat 6 eggs thoroughly with milk, and pour over crust. Return quiche to oven, and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until eggs are firm.
5. Slice into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 191 calories, 20 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 173 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31%
Spinach Artichoke Eggs Benedict
This vegetarian meal looks lovely on a plate and works for brunch or a light dinner.
Makes 4 servings
1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
1½ tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup skim milk
1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
dash of salt, ground pepper
8 large eggs
4 light whole-grain English muffins, toasted
2 cups fresh baby spinach
chopped fresh parsley
1. Place artichokes in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave 2 to 3 minutes until warm.
2. Make the sauce: Combine cornstarch with milk in a jar, and shake until cornstarch dissolves. Pour into a small saucepan and, over medium heat, stir until thick, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and add mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth.