3 Ways to Cook Eggs
Spice up your egg routine with these clever recipes.
Goat Cheese and Veggie Mini Strata
It's hard to beat these muffin-pan strata: The miniature size provides easy portion control and appeals to kids. Serve them with fruit for breakfast or brunch.
Makes 6 servings
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup diced portabella mushrooms
¼ cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
6 large eggs
¾ cup low-fat milk (more if needed)
½ tsp white pepper
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
5 cups cubed whole
1. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium high. Add onion and cook 7–8 minutes until brown and caramelized. Add broccoli, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes and cook 4–5 more minutes until vegetables are soft.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, salt, and pepper. Add vegetables, cheese, and bread cubes and mix to combine.
4. Pour egg-and-bread mixture into the muffin pan, dividing evenly to ensure that liquid saturates the bread cubes. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
5. Heat oven to 350 F. Bake strata 20–25 minutes until puffy and golden brown. Loosen with a knife and serve two per person.
Per serving:268 calories, 17 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 195 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 382 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 43%.
Pantry Picks for Our Egg Recipes
Keep these healthy ingredients on hand to make our three egg recipes extra-simple to prepare. Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, LD, gives her take on what to look for at the supermarket.
Sauce Boss: To avoid the extra sodium in most tomato sauces, Zelman buys only no-salt-added brands: Muir Glen Organic No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (30 mg sodium) and Hunt's No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (20 mg sodium).
Bean Count: You can't beat beans for protein and fiber, but canned beans are another sneaky source of sodium. Zelman likes Goya Low Sodium Black Beans (125 mg sodium) and Bush's Best Low Sodium Black Beans (140 mg sodium).