Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining
Chill out with these healthy holiday recipes using your slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Recipe No. 4: Chicken Sausage Cornbread Stuffing continued...
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (2 teaspoon parsley flakes)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chopped red pepper
- Preheat slow cooker to low or high heat. Brown the sausage and cut into a
- In large nonstick frying pan, saute the onions and celery in canola oil for
a few minutes. Stir in sage, rosemary, and thyme and continue to cook and stir
over medium heat until mixture is softened (about 2 minutes more). Spoon
mixture into large mixing bowl and stir in the sausage and the remaining
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker crock with canola oil cooking spray and
spoon stuffing mixture into crock. Heat on low a couple of hours before the
dinner party or potluck, or heat for one hour on high heat. If mixture seems
too dry, drizzle more chicken broth over the top and stir.
If you like your cornbread a little on the sweet side, opt for the 2
tablespoons of sugar. If you prefer Southern style, just leave it out. You'll
use almost half this cornbread for the recipe above.
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup unbleached
3/4 teaspoon baking
3/4 teaspoon baking
granulated sugar (optional)
3/4 cup low-fat
1 large egg (use a
higher omega-3 brand if available)
1/4 cup egg
2 tablespoons canola
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with canola
- In large mixing bowl, combine first 4 ingredients, beating on low to blend.
Add the remaining ingredients all at once in mixing bowl and beat on low,
scraping sides of bowl after 5 seconds, until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 20 to 25
minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Yield: 10 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup "starchy
foods with fat" OR 1/2 cup "side salad mixed"
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 180 calories, 7 g protein, 23 g
carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 470
mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.