Fast-Food French Fries: Which Are Healthiest?
The 'Recipe Doctor' rates the best and worst fast-food fries.
There's no doubt: french fries are one of America's favorite foods.
French-fried potatoes are the featured side dish at nearly all fast-food
chains, and at many sit-down restaurants as well. And the selection of types of
frozen french fries at your typical supermarket is mind boggling.
French fries are thought to have originated in 19th century Belgium,
spreading later into France and later still into the greater part of the
Western world. But you can credit American fast-food chains for making french
fries a fixture in casual cuisine.
Of course, french fries are by nature pretty high in calories and fat. We
are talking about deep-fried potato strips, after all. But in the wonderful
world of fast-food fries, there's a big difference in how much calories, fat,
and "bad fats" (saturated and trans) you'll find in a serving of french
fries, based on where you buy them.
Nutritionally speaking, who makes the best and worst french fries? To find
out, we compared calories, fat grams, "bad fat" grams, percentage of
calories from fat, and sodium levels for the "small" or
"regular" serving of french fries at 14 major fast-food chains. The
serving sizes for these fries ranged from 75 grams to 125 grams, so this is
also a case where size matters.
The 14 fast-food chains we looked at were:
- Burger King
- Carl's Jr.
- Dairy Queen
- In & Out
- Jack in the Box
- Long John Silvers
- Sonic Drive-In
- White Castle
The Best French Fries
Lowest in Calories:
- Sonic Drive-In regular fries (75 g): 220 calories
- McDonalds small fries (71 g): 230 calories
Lowest in Fat:
- Sonic Drive-In regular fries (75 g): 9 grams total fat
- McDonald's small fries (71 g): 11 grams total fat
Lowest Percentage of Calories From Fat:
- Sonic Drive-In regular fries (75 g): 37%
- Dairy Queen regular fries (114 g): 38%
Lowest in "Bad Fats" (saturated and trans fats):
- Sonic Drive-In regular fries (75 g) = 1.5 grams saturated fat + 0 grams
- McDonald's small fries (71 g) = 1.5 grams saturated fat + 0 grams trans