A Healthier Way to Grill
6 ways to avoid the pitfalls of barbecuing
Fire Up the Barbie continued...
Journal as: 1 "sandwich and burger, moderate-fat
Serve these spicy ground sirloin or turkey burgers on a whole-grain bun
dressed with lettuce, tomato, and red onion and the barbecue sauce of your
1 pound ground sirloin (extra-lean ground beef); or
substitute ground turkey with about 6% fat
3 tablespoons dry Italian breadcrumbs
3-4 tablespoons egg substitute
3 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
4 slices (4 ounces) reduced-fat Jack or mozzarella cheese
4 whole-grain buns
1/4 cup barbecue sauce of your choice
4 lettuce leaves
4 large tomato slices
About 12 rings of red onion
- Preheat grill to high.
- In an 8-cup measure, blend the ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg substitute,
green onions, Cajun seasoning, and mustard by mixing with your hands. Form into
4 patties, by hand or with a patty press.
- Lightly coat the grill grate with canola cooking spray. Cook the patties 5
minutes per side, or until well done. Place a slice of the cheese on each
burger, and allow to melt.
- Serve the burgers on whole-grain buns dressed with barbecue sauce, lettuce,
tomato, and onion.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 420 calories, 35 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 14
g fat (6 g saturated fat, 6.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated
fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 800 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
Grilled Eggplant and Pepper Goat Cheese Sandwiches
Journal as: 2 slices bread + 2 servings vegetables + 1/2
ounce regular cheese + 1 serving olives
1 red bell pepper
1 eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
3 tablespoons low-fat bottled Italian or balsamic vinaigrette
8 slices of whole grain bread (or use a French baguette sliced
2 ounces soft goat cheese
1/4 cup tapenade (bottled olive spread available in grocery specialty
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut the top off the bell pepper; discard the rind and seeds. Cut pepper
into quarters. Brush low-fat bottled Italian or balsamic vinaigrette on
eggplant slices and bell pepper pieces.
- Place the eggplant slices and bell pepper pieces on a grill coated with
canola cooking spray. Grill about 6 inches from heat until tender and slightly
browned (8-10 minutes), turning after 4-5 minutes.
- Spread 4 bottom slices of bread with goat cheese, then tapenade. Top the
tapenade with slices of eggplant and a piece of red pepper, then top with
remaining slices of bread.
- Cut each sandwich into 2 or 4 triangles (if using whole-grain bread) and