Recipe Makeovers for All-American Food
Cook up lighter versions of American cuisine classics.
All-American Recipe Makeovers continued...
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 or 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded then finely chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder and
salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and sour cream to large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed
until blended. Stir in corn.
- In nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add canola oil. When oil is hot,
sautÃ© onions, chilies, and tomato until onion is tender. Let cool a few
- Add onion mixture and dry ingredients to mixing bowl with egg mixture and
beat on low speed just until blended, scraping sides of bowl halfway. Stir in
cheese, then pour mixture in an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan coated with
canola cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cornbread is cooked throughout and lightly
golden on top.
Yield: 9 servings
Per serving: 189 calories, 7.5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 1.2 g
saturated fat, 28 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 500 mg sodium. Calories from fat:
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 portion light dessert OR 1
portion fresh fruit
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup light or regular plain yogurt or fat-free sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
3 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 3 cups)
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup walnut pieces (or coarsely chopped walnuts)
1/3 cup dried fruit like raisins, cherries, or cranberries
- Add mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream, sugar and lemon juice to serving bowl
and whisk well to blend.
- Add apple pieces, celery, walnuts and dried fruit if desired and toss
everything together. Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yield: About 4 1/2 cups (9, 1/2-cup servings)
Per serving: 90 calories, 2 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat, .6 g
saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.3 g fiber, 66 mg sodium. Calories from fat: