Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
Cool and convenient, the slow cooker is perfect for preparing warm-weather meals.
Healthy Summer Slow Cooker Recipes continued...
Slow Cooker Skillet Rosemary Potatoes
This dish is two side dishes in one (potatoes and carrots). Throw some lean
meat or fish on the grill and dinner is done.
7 cups quartered medium sized red potatoes (about 8 potatoes)
1 sweet or yellow onion, coarsely cut into chunks
2 cups baby carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In large bowl, combine potato wedges, onions, carrots, olive oil, rosemary,
salt and pepper until vegetables are evenly coated with oil and
- Coat inside of slow cooker with olive oil cooking spray. Spoon the potato
mixture inside, drizzling any oil or seasoning in bottom of the bowl over the
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
Yield: Makes 6-8 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup starchy foods
with 1 tsp fat maximum
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 191 calories, 5 g protein, 35 g
carbohydrate, 3.7 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber,
167 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
Crock Pot Chocolate Kahlua Cake
This moist cake is amazing served warm straight from the slow cooker, along
with a small scoop of light vanilla bean ice cream.
1 box (18.25 ounce) devil’s food cake mix
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 cup 1% low-fat milk (or use nonfat or 2% milk)
2 large eggs, a higher omega-3 brand if available
2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup Kahlua liqueur (or similar)
- Coat inside of slow cooker with canola cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, milk, eggs, egg whites,
and Kahlua by beating on medium for about a minute.
- Pour cake batter into prepared slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8
hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Cut cake into about 16 wedges. Serve each slice with a small scoop of
light vanilla bean ice cream (using a cookie dough scoop), if desired.
Yield: Makes 16 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 portion medium
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 210 calories, 4 g protein,
33 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1.4 g saturated fat, 29 mg cholesterol, 1 g
fiber, 314 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23%.