Three Top Chefs Share Their Holiday Recipes
Our culinary stars make traditional dishes healthier -- plus share ideas on bringing new foods to the holiday table.
Cat Cora: Changing Things Up continued...
7. Remove the birds from the oven, and transfer them to a platter. Cover them with foil and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Place the roasting pan with the juices on the stovetop over medium-low heat, add about ½ cup of the chicken stock (or water), and scrape up any roasted bits from the bottom of the pan. Sift the flour into the cooking juices and mix well. Slowly whisk in another 1½ cups of stock (or water) and stir well, and let simmer until the mixture is thick and has no lumps, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add a few more teaspoons of water or white wine if you'd like the gravy to be thinner. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. To serve, cut each bird in half lengthwise. Pool a little gravy on each plate, place a half bird on top of each gravy-pooled plate, and garnish with finely chopped parsley. Serve with a little extra rice stuffing on the side, if desired.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 526 calories, 35 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 24 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 170 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, and 316 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 41%.
For a more flavorful glaze, you can use a reduction of pomegranate-balsamic rather than straight pomegranate juice.
1. Combine equal parts pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar (use a good balsamic but not your most expensive bottle).
2. Heat over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the reduction is syrupy but not as thick as molasses.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 359 calories, 2 g protein, 76 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 70 g sugar, and 81 mg sodium. Calories from fat: less than 1%.
Curried Lentils With Butternut Squash
1 cup dry lentils (preferably French or green)
1 small butternut squash (about
1½ lbs), peeled and cut
into chunks (equals 1½ cups)
olive oil spray
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp chili powder
dash of kosher salt and freshly
ground black pepper
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut